Friday, June 4, 2010

Stick Shifts & Safety Belts

This title is a tribute to the "Cake" song that I love with the same name. Special thanks to my brother for introducing me to it. Check it out on youtube if you want a moment of enjoyment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkgXArxRxy8

The real story I want to tell is short and sweet, so I thought I'd spice it up a bit with a little extra fun. :) It's the story of when & how I learned to drive stick.

It was the end of my freshman year of college and I was getting ready to spend the summer in Washington state doing an ministry internship with my former youth pastor, Byron Waggoner. I was sitting in a computer lab one day and heard a rather random word from the Lord: "You're going to learn to drive stick soon. Just wanted you to know. :)" It seemingly came out of nowhere, but it definitely felt like it had the smiley-faced emoticon at the end of it.

A couple days later Byron called. We were discussing logistics of the summer and he asked, "You know how to drive stick, right?" No, I replied. "Well I guess you'll be learning soon, because the car I got you to drive for the summer is stick."

So when I got to Washington, Byron taught me to drive a stick-shift, in a yellow VW Bug that I named "Guardian." I used to think that would be a cool name for a boy, and we could call him Ian for short... Jason's probably glad that the car came first. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment